Logo Kunst Museum Magdeburg

 

 
 

   

 

        Historic Sculpture

 

 

 

 

 

 

The time of origin of the sculptures, exhibited in the vault of the middle barrel, ranges from the 13th to 18th century. These sculptures have been acquired for the museum's collection during the last 150 years and are not related to the building of the Kunstmuseum, in which they are currently exhibited. After the Thirty Years War nothing was left of the rich furnishings of the Middle Ages in the Premonstratensian monastery Unser Lieben Frauen. All the sculptures were created in a religious context, but they no longer fulfill their original function today. Whether as a single sculpture on the altar or in a greater group of sculptures, they always serve as reminders of salvation. For example in a shrine on the altar or as a single sculpture attached to a pillar inside the church.

The sculptures found their way into the museum’s collection through international art trade, as well as through private collectors and sponsors. Only few works reveal information about the circumstances in which they were created, the atelier, the clients or the original exhibition place. By using stylistic criteria for the examination it is still possible to define the regions, in which they were created. These regions range from the brabantian parts of the Netherlands, Cologne, the foothills of the Harz low mountains, Saxony and Thuringia to southern Germany and Bohemia.

 


Located in the lower barrel vault, which can be reached through the stairs in the middle barrel vault, there is a small, exquisite selection of sculptures dating back to the Ancient World, to the early modern Italy, as well as to the 19th century and to the beginning of the 20th century. “The torso of a boy”, a roman marble copy of a work by an artist associated with Polykleitos or a Madonna from the surroundings of Donatello, should be mentioned here. "Fridericus Rex", created by Johann Gottfried Schadow in 1807, has a clear note of classicism, Berlin's school of sculpture. The “Hagener Torso” of 1906, created by Wilhelm Lehmbruck, is one of the works of classical modernism which has to be mentioned.